PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL INCLUDING CHURCH YARD BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1051583
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL INCLUDING CHURCH YARD BOUNDARY WALL, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL INCLUDING CHURCH YARD BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051583 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 02:04:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL INCLUDING CHURCH YARD BOUNDARY WALL, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Aylsham
National Grid Reference:
TG 19262 27008

Details

TG 1826/7 AYLSHAM MARKET PLACE 3/78 (NORTH END) 10.5.61 Parish Church of St Michael including church yard boundary wall

I

Fabric mainly of C14 and C15, much restored in 1852. Flint, partly rubble work, partly knapped with good flushwork panels: lead covered roofs. West tower, south porch, north and south aisles, transepts, chancel and chancel aisles. C14 tower with good four-light west window with late Decorated tracery. Traceried bell openings. Tower roof surmounted lead-covered spirelet, probably early C17. Two storey south porch C15, but lower storey may be C14. Fine flushwork flint panels. Canopied niche flanked by two-light windows. South aisle faced in knapped flint with flushwork-panelled battlements. C15 transepts and chancel chapels of two bays.

Interior: early C14 arcade of six bays with alternating circular and octagonal pillars. Early C17 pulpit with panels carved in perspective. Early C15 font with the Crucifixion, symbols of the Evangelists and Instruments of the Passion around the bowl. Four shields on the shaft, including that of John of Gaunt. Base of rood screen (built c1507) with sixteen painted figures in panels. Reredos of 1833 assembled by John Adey Repton and incorporating some upper parts of screen and misericords. Gallery tinder tower supported on timber posts: arched braces to beams with traceried spandrels. Various brasses and monuments to Bishop Jegon (d1617) and Clement Francis (d1792), the latter by Thomas Ivory of Norwich. Memorial to Humphry Repton and his family against south wall of chancel. churchyard bounded by coped red brick boundary wall, with four-centred arched opening to Old Vicarage.

Listing NGR: TG1926227008

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
228306
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15824/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Russell Sparkes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].