Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051605.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2020 at 05:55:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 29182 15614


BRAMFIELD MAIN ROAD TL 21 NE (West side) Bramfield 3/16 No. 6 - GV II

Former village school, now house and shop. c.1850, enlarged 1869. Yellow stock brick with white brick dressings. Thatched roof. Cottage orné style. 1 storey and attic. T shaped ridge. 2 bay front, left bay projects slightly with steeply pitched gable to front. Plinth. Ground floor 6 light mullion and transom hollow moulded lattice light metal casement, chamfered white brick surround, first floor similar 2 lights. Pierced wavy bargeboard. Right bay has similar 2 light casements, eyebrow thatch to attic. Later porch to centre front, plank and muntin door with a 4 centred arched head. To left of main range a cross axial stack with 4 chamfered shafts, common capping. Right gable end: porch towards front with entrance to shop, chamfered four centred arch, towards rear a casement with a gauged brick flat arched head, truncated stack, wavy bargeboards. Left return has a blind horizontal panel towards front, 2 light casements, 2 light gabled dormer with wavy bargeboards. An extruded stack towards rear with 2 shafts. Rear gable end wavy bargeboards. Extending to rear right is lower slate roofed addition with 2 light small pane casements. Further 1 storey slate roofed additions to rear. Interior not inspected. Included for group value. (Kelly's Directory 1899).

Listing NGR: TL2918215614


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1899)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05150/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A. Gude. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].