CAREY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1051659
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Apr-1976
Statutory Address:
CAREY HOUSE, 42, LOWER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAREY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051659.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 00:09:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CAREY HOUSE, 42, LOWER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Kettering (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 86538 78904

Details

1. 5326 LOWER STREET (East Side) ------------ No 42 (Carey House) (formerly listed as Baptist Mission House) SP 8678 1/15 27.2.50.

II*

2. C18 house of Northamptonshire sandstone refaced with stucco. Collyweston slate roof with 3 hipped dormers behind parapet and cornice. 2 storeys and attics, 1st floor band. 7 sash windows with glazing bars and keystones. Central 6 panelled door and fanlight with glazing bars in surround of Doric half columns, entablatures, open pediment. Plinth. 3 stone chimney stacks with mouldings. Interior retains some panelling. C18 chimneypieces and late C18 or early C19 staircase.

A plaque records the foundation in this house in 1792 of the Baptist Missionary Society by William Carey of Leicester.

Listing NGR: SP8653878904

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
230089
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08379/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].