Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1051809.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 18:54:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Norwich (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TG 23310 08835


TG 2308 NW TOMBLAND (west side) 16/886 26.2.54. Church Of St George GV I Parish church. C15 and C16. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Brick clerestory. Lead roofs. West tower. Nave and chancel. North and south aisles and porches. North chancel chapel. 3-stage tower C.1445 and repaired 1645. 4-stages of diagonal buttresses. 3-light west window above statue niche. Square traceried sound holes. Belfry windows with 4-centre arches and later mullion and transomes. Clockface on south. Crenellated parapet with lozenge flushwork and corner pinnacles. 4-bay nave with two 3-light Perpendicular windows in south aisle. 2-storey porch against west bay having outer doorway with a 2-centre arch and carved spandrels. 2-light window above door with 4-centre arch. Flushwork parapet. Tierceron-vault inside with central boss of St. George. C19 windows in north aisle. 5 clerestory windows with cusped Y-tracery. 3-bay chancel with late Perpen- dicular 3-light windows and triangular arches. Priests door. 5 clerestory windows with cusped Y-tracery and 3-centre arches. 3-light Perpendicular east window. The north porch, which is incorporated into the west end of the aisle has diagonal ribs springing from wall piers and ridge ribs. It is now used as a chapel. Polygonal arcade-piers with 3 chamfered-orders pointed arches Arch-braced roof with single butt-purlin and ridge-piece. The braces spring from wall-posts supported on corbels. Finely carved Renaissance detail on wall-plate coving. Chancel roof:- Arched-brace roof with moulded butt-purlins and ridge-piece. The braces form a 2-centre profile, the lower brace springing from wall-posts with C19 angel corbels and wall-arches framing the clerestory window arches. Carved star-bosses on the purlins and ridge. C18 and C19 wall monuments. 1617 wall monument to Thomas Anguish with facing kneeling figures and children behind carrying skulls.

Listing NGR: TG2331008835


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03092/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Mary Gogle. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].