MONTAGU HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052010
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jun-1992
Statutory Address:
MONTAGU HOSPITAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MONTAGU HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052010 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 14:44:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
MONTAGU HOSPITAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Kettering (District Authority)
Parish:
Weekley
National Grid Reference:
SP 88802 80918

Details

WEEKLEY SP8880 Montagu Hospital 1337-0/15/357 25/10/51 (Formerly Listed as: WEEKLEY The Old Almshouse) GV II* Almshouse, now house. Dated 1611. Limestone ashlar, with Collyweston stone slate roof, coped gablet and moulded stone end stacks. 2 storeys. 4-window range. Symmetrically disposed. Central Tudor-headed entrance, beneath classical entablature, breaking forward on brackets at either end to carry ornate obelisks. Frieze inscribed "WHAT.THOU.DOEST.DO.YT.IN.FAYTH". Wide- boarded studded door, on strap hinges. Above the doorway is the Montagu arms in a scrolly cartouche decorated with strapwork, above this a painted sundial dated 1631 which incorporates the carved date of 1611, and crowning the centrepiece is an elaborate curved gable with kneelers and obelisk finials, and a central circular blind panel. Casement-moulded string course above the ground floor windows. First floor recessed, above a chamfered set- off. Ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows with rectangular-leaded casements, a 2-light and a 4-light on each floor to each side of the centrepiece. Sundial to south gable end. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SP8880280918

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
231180
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08379/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].