This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1052039



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Rushton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 231154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


RUSHTON SP8482 STATION ROAD 1337-0/13/240 (South side) 25/02/57 Church of All Saints GV II* Parish church. Norman origin, largely rebuilt early C14, restored 1853 and 1869 by E.F. Law. North-east chapel reroofed after fire of 1963. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings, lead and Collyweston stone slate roofs. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel. North- east chapel, vestry to south-east. 3-stage, west tower with set-back buttresses, square-headed lights to first 2 stages and 2-light bell-openings (twin lancets in arched recess) and later limestone castellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Tower west entrance has C19 double doors on decorative hinges in arched opening of 3 chamfered orders. South side of nave buttresses, with sill band, has 2-light traceried windows (each a little different) with hood-moulds. Window to left of porch is square-headed. South porch has coped gable, moulded arched entrance and little 2-light traceried windows (now blocked) to either flank. 3 3-light Perpendicular clerestory windows to south, 3 2-light clerestory windows to north. North aisle has 3 2-light square-headed Perpendicular windows with hood-moulds and head-stops, and a C19 door in arched surround of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. Chancel has parapet gable and a 3-light Decorated style east window. South side of chancel has moulded plinth and a 3-light Decorated style window. Gabled vestry has roof of graduated and shaped stone slabs. North-east chapel has coped gable, limestone plinth, cill band, quoins, a 2-light Decorated window to north and east and a C19 north door in keel-moulded arched surround. Interior: 3-bay north nave arcade of 2 chamfered orders, carried on cylindrical columns with plain capitals. Low, round-headed tower arch (little more than a doorway) with chamfered impost blocks. Organ apparently conceals Norman window above. Tall and slightly stilted chancel arch, with polygonal responds. Arch from aisle to chapel similar, but with semi- cylindrical responds and tall roll-moulded capitals. 2-bay north chancel arcade of 2 chamfered orders with a quatrefoil central pier (with roll- moulded capital) and polygonal responds (with capitals similar to those of chancel arch). Nave roof arch-braced from corbels to tie-beam, north aisle roof of tie-beam trusses, chancel roof arch-braced from corbels to collar, all restored at C19. North-east chapel roof C20. Elaborate and playful Decorated sedilia with nedding ogee hoods with carved figures and beasts between and crocketed gables and pinnacles above. Mostly C19 fittings and stained glass. North-east chapel has late C13 purpeck marble effigy of a bright, traditionally identified as William de Goldingham, d.1296, and alabaster effigy of Sir Thomas Tresham, d.1559, in the dress of Lord Prior of the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, removed from the church of St. Peter, Rushton, demolished 1799. Vaulted vestry has incomplete transverse chamfered rib on corbel. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: P 397).

Listing NGR: SP8409382874

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 397

National Grid Reference: SP 84093 82874


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052039 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jul-2018 at 04:45:49.

End of official listing