GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS, INCLUDING THAT OF SAMUEL LEE CIRCA 10 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052077
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1992
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS, INCLUDING THAT OF SAMUEL LEE CIRCA 10 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, GRAFTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS, INCLUDING THAT OF SAMUEL LEE CIRCA 10 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052077 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 06:45:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS, INCLUDING THAT OF SAMUEL LEE CIRCA 10 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARY, GRAFTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Kettering (District Authority)
Parish:
Geddington
National Grid Reference:
SP8951883008

Details

GEDDINGTON SP8883 GRAFTON ROAD 1337-0/12/258 (North side) Group of 3 chest tombs, incl that of Samuel Lee c.l0m S of Church of St.Mary GV II Chest tombs. Early/mid C18. Limestone ashlar. 3 tomb chests, each with moulded plinth, and cambered lid. That to Samuel Lee has fielded panels, to south inscribed "Here lieth interred the body of/Mr. SAMUEL LEE/who died March the 3rd, 1708. He was/Ranger of Geddington Chase to His Grace the/Duke of Montague and bequeathed to the Post/of Geddington the profits of a Piece of/land lying in Cranford St. John". 2 similar tomb chests to west, with recessed panels. Any inscriptions on them are no longer legible.

Listing NGR: SP8951883008

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
231044
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06157/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Rockett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].