Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052126.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2020 at 15:19:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Kettering (District Authority)
Burton Latimer
National Grid Reference:


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/04/2014

SP9075 1337-0/21/30

BURTON LATIMER, CHURCH STREET (North side), No. 51 (Jacobean House)

(Formerly listed as No. 59 (Jacobean House).

Previously Listed as: Old School, CHURCH STREET, Burton Latimer)



School, now house. Dated 1622, enlarged C19, converted 1972. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings, thatched roof with coped gables on scrolly kneelers with baluster finials, 3 moulded ashlar stacks (central one modern or reset, replacing louvre ones to gable ends, truncated) One storey, 4-windows wide. Central C19 boarded door (though hinges may be original) flanked by fluted pilasters carrying entablature, with frieze inscribed "AND THIS HOUSE. WAS BUILT. 1622/THE FRE. SCHOOLE. WAS. FOUNDED/BY. THOMAS. BURBANKE. AND/MARGARET. HIS. WIFE. 1587/AND MEMORIA. IVISTI. BENEDICTA. P RO 10". Above is a shaped ashlar gable with finials, which contains geometrical ornament, a sundial and a cartouche enclosing a shield with an eagle (?). Windows are of 3 lights with ovolo-moulded stone mullions and leaded casements on gudgeons, cornices over and lintels inscribed "EX: DONO: JOHANNIS: MICHEL: X ", "16 DONUM: IOHANNIS: BARRIFFE: 22", "16+: GEORGIUS: PLOWRIGHT: ME: DEDIT: +22", "W XARPES CITIUS QUAM IMITABERIS N". Left return has taller 3-light window with central light stepped, but with the upper part now a blind panel inscribed to commemorate the 1972 work. Geometrical ornament above. Wing to rear C19, partly rendered (to disguise scars caused by demolition of later C19 block) and with roof of plain and shaped tiles, originally one storey but now divided into 2, has ovolo-moulded mullioned windows (and C20 dormers) Interior: originally one large school-room, now subdivided. 3 roof trusses, arch-braced to collar and with drop finial, cross-bracing above. The lower edges of the arch braces are ovolo-moulded, whilst the upper edges and the cross-braces are chamfered. 2 tiers of purlins and C20 rafters. Roof strapped and probably partly renewed in C19. It is believed that the school was actually founded in 1581 (or possibly even earlier, as Thomas Burbank was described as "founder of the free school in Burton Latimer" at his death in 1578) - the date 1587 inscribed here presumably being a mason's error. (Northampton and County Independent: June 1981: p.39).

Listing NGR: SP9024775084


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Northampton and County Independent' in June, (1981), 39


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09193/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].