THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052128

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, 9, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052128 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 08:50:29.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE, 9, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Kettering (District Authority)

Parish: Ashley

National Grid Reference: SP 79456 90966

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHLEY MAIN STREET SP7990 (North side) 7/5 No.9 (The Old School House) GV II School and attached masters house, now one dwelling. School 1858 and masters house 1865 by Sir G.G. Scott for Rev. R. Pulteney. Limestone ashlar with slate roof laid to diminishing courses. L-shape plan with the 2 arms linked only at the inside corners. In C17 style. School of 2-window range of 2 pairs of 2-light stone mullion windows under segmental arch recesses. Central gabled porch has 2 arch head doors with decorated roundel above. Decorative cast iron gutter. Ashlar gable parpets and kneelers and ashlar stacks with cusped decoration to copings. Gables to left and right have pairs of tall, 2-light, stone mullion windows with transoms under blank painted arch heads with cusping, shafts and foliated capitals. Inscription "schools" on rectangular plaque of each gable. Masters house attached at right angles to right of school of 3-window ranged 2- and 3-light stone mullion windows. Centre bay breaks forward to form gabled porch and flanking first floor windows have small gables over. Central C19 plank door has decorative strap hinges and moulded stone surround. Raised band between floors. All windows have leaded diamond panes. Cast iron gutter and rainwater heads. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers and ashlar stacks, similar to those of school, at ends. Polygonal stair turret to rear. Interior of school has 2 moulded stone fireplaces by Sir G.G. Scott. Originally used as a Sunday School. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.931.

Listing NGR: SP7945690966

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 230862

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 93

End of official listing