Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052135.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 22:48:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Kettering (District Authority)
Brampton Ash
National Grid Reference:
SP 78866 87480


BRAMPTON ASH HARBOROUGH ROAD SP78NE (South side) 3/23 Church of St. Mary 25/02/57 GV I

Church. C13 and C14, with minor C19 restoration. Regular coursed lias and limestone with lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and north and south porches. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of C14 two- and 3-light windows. Ashlar gable parapet with 2 gargoyles. Shallow pitched roof. C13 four-light east window has Y-tracery with 3 roundels, discretely restored C19. North elevation of chancel of 2-window range with C13 two-light window to left with Y-tracery and C13 single lancet to right. Blocked north door between. Ashlar gable parapet with 2 gargoyles and carving of bat at north-east corner. South aisle of 2-window range of C14 three-light windows. Ashlar gable parapets and lean-to roof. Central C14 gabled porch with roll moulding to outer opening. North aisle of 3-window range of C14 three-light windows. Ashlar gable parapets with gargoyles. Lean-to roof. C14 gabled porch to right of centre is similar to north porch but has niche above outer opening and 2-light windows to return walls. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of C14 two-light windows. Ashlar gable parapet with 5 gargoyles. Shallow pitched roof. C14 west tower, 3 stages with sub-division in the lower stage. Shallow 2-stage clasping buttresses to lower 2 stages. Single lancet to north and south face of second stage and 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage. C14 broach spire with diamond and quatrefoil frieze at base. 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: nave arcade of 4-bay range of C14 double chamfered arches with slender piers having hollow-chamfered projections to nave and aisles and shafts with capitals to the arch openings. C13 double chamfered chancel arch and C14 chamfered and moulded tower arch. Roofs, restored C19, retain some original timbers. Fragments of vaulted ceiling to the tower. Piscina with triple sedilia in chancel. Tall C14 niches flanking east window. C18 communion rail. Octagonal font. Royal arms in relief, with pediment over, above chancel arch. Monuments: south wall of chancel, Charles Norwich, died 1605, and wife, 2 kneeling figures under arch. North wall of chancel, Thomas Farmer, died 1764, and 2 other tablets. Chancel floor has indents of brasses. West wall of south aisle: George Bosworth, died 1804; marble tablet with 2 weeping willows bending over an urn. 2 C19 tablets alongside. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p119)

Listing NGR: SP7886687480


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 119


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07403/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Paterson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].