LODGES AND GATEWAY ABOUT 1,050 METRES NORTH WEST OF THAME PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052150
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1995
Statutory Address:
LODGES AND GATEWAY ABOUT 1,050 METRES NORTH WEST OF THAME PARK, THAME PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LODGES AND GATEWAY ABOUT 1,050 METRES NORTH WEST OF THAME PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052150.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 20:54:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
LODGES AND GATEWAY ABOUT 1,050 METRES NORTH WEST OF THAME PARK, THAME PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Thame
National Grid Reference:
SP 70966 04492

Details

THAME SP70SW THAME PARK ROAD, Thame Park 1707-0/4/10003 Lodges and Gateway about 1, 050 metres north west of Thame Park

II Gateway screen at entrance to park. Circa 1830 with C20 additions. Rendered red brick with freestone dressings. Screen wall of seven bays, the central one taller and with large 4-centred carriage arch, the fourth bay has similar but smaller pedestrian gateway, both double-chamfered and with cast-iron Gothic gates. Castellated Gothick style with battlements to end piers and the taller central bay; buttresses between bays supporting block finials with quatrefoils, and cruciform false loops on the carriage arch piers. Large buttresses to these piers on the inner sides are C20, of concrete blocks over steel shores. Two lodges with coped parapets are attached to either side and are ruinous; they might be later, but also of rendered brick; the southern one has a four-panel door with studded planted chamfer to the panels. Source: Buildings of England, page 812.

Listing NGR: SP7096604492

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
361520
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 812

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12850/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Carl Shillito. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].