ESTATE BRIDGE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES TO EAST OF PITCHFORD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052161

Date first listed: 14-May-1986

Statutory Address: ESTATE BRIDGE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES TO EAST OF PITCHFORD HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ESTATE BRIDGE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES TO EAST OF PITCHFORD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052161 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 03:00:28.

Location

Statutory Address: ESTATE BRIDGE APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES TO EAST OF PITCHFORD HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Pitchford

National Grid Reference: SJ 52902 04246

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PITCHFORD C.P. PITCHFORD SJ 5204 - 5304 SJ 52903 04245 12/139 Estate bridge - approx 100 metres to east of Pitchford Hall GV II

Estate bridge. 1870's or 1880's, probably by George Devey and incorporating parts of an earlier bridge. Coursed red sandstone rubble with red sandstone ashlar dressings and late C19 squared and thinly coursed red sandstone parapet and retaining walls. 2 chamfered segmental-arches, that to north larger. Angled retaining walls to abutments. Late C19 wooden 3-bar gate at south end. A map kept at the hall and dated 1714 shows the Shrewsbury-Pitchford road passing over the Row Brook at this point. The present bridge probably incorporates part of this earlier bridge although now it merely serves to give access to the park. The type of C19 masonry matches that used by Devey in his alterations and additions at Pitchford Hall (qv) in the late C19. V.C.H., Vol VIII, pp.117-8.



Listing NGR: SJ5290204246

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 361548

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 117-8
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 35 Shropshire,

End of official listing