This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE DOLPHIN INN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE DOLPHIN INN

List entry Number: 1052172

Location

THE DOLPHIN INN, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wigginton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361472

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGGINTON CHAPEL STREET SP3833 (West side) 11/110 The Dolphin Inn 08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Dolphin Public House) GV II Inn, now house. Datestone M/IE/1727. Ashlar ironstone to front, regular coursed ironstone rubble to sides and rear; stone slate roof to front, Welsh slate roof to rear. 2 brick end stacks. 3-unit plan. 2 storeys; 6 windows to first floor, one blocked. Off-centre door to right is 4-panelled with distinctive canopy. 3 windows to left, 2 windows to right. All are wooden mullioned and transomed windows with keystoned flat arches. 4-light stone mullioned window to cellar on left. Windows noted as having elaborate wrought iron casement fasteners. Flat band to first floor. Stone copings. Rear: Stone sundial to right end. Interior: Noted as having plan of kitchen, hall and parlour; spacious cellars with stone barrel vault. History: The Dolphin was built as a farmhouse by James Eden, the principal farmer in the parish in the 1720s. Interior not inspected. (V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p.160; Wood-Jones, R.B., Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963, pp,187-8).

Listing NGR: SP3888233325

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 160
Wood-Jones, R B, Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, (1963), 187-8

National Grid Reference: SP 38882 33325

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052172 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 08:40:14.

End of official listing