This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RECTORY

List entry Number: 1052177

Location

RECTORY, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wigginton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361484

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGGINTON MAIN STREET SP3833 (South side) 11/122 Rectory 08/12/55 (Formerly listed as the Rectory and Barn to north-west) GV II Rectory now house. c.1844 by John Pritchard of Oxford. Regular coursed ironstone rubble, C20 tile roof. 4 stone stacks: 2 ridge, 1 end and 1 lateral. L-plan. Tudor revival style. Garden front of 2 parts. Right part: 2 plus 1 storeys, 3 bays. Central French window. Gabled 2-storey bay window to right. Gabled bay to left has 6-light window to ground floor, 3-light window to first floor and 2-light to attic. 4-light window above door. Most windows stone mullioned with transoms, hood moulds, label stops, margin lights and stone relieving arches. Stone copings to gables. Left part: 1 plus 1 storeys. Central lateral stone stack. 4-light window to right; 3-light window to attic, both mullioned and transomed. Rear: Gabled porch has stone copings, shield and 4-centred doorway. The Rectory was built on the site of a glebe farmhouse of which it incorporates a part. Interior not inspected. (V.C.H. : Oxfordshire, Vol IX, p.160; Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974, p.842).

Listing NGR: SP3895633318

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 842
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 160

National Grid Reference: SP 38956 33318

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052177 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2017 at 06:42:40.

End of official listing