WATER MILL INN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052237

Date first listed: 01-May-1974

Statutory Address: WATER MILL INN, RAMSGILL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATER MILL INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 11:56:05.

Location

Statutory Address: WATER MILL INN, RAMSGILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Bewerley

National Grid Reference: SE 14764 66418

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEWERLEY RAMSGILL ROAD SE 16 NW (west side)

2/17 Water Mill Inn

1.5.74

- II

Water-mill, now public house. c1860, wheel installed 1904. Coursed squared gritstone, grey slate roof. 2 storeys, 12 bays. C20 gabled porch bay 9; glazed carriage arch to right. C20 20-pane centre-hinged windows to ground floor, with two 4-pane sashes far right. 16-pane centre-hinged windows to first floor, all with projecting sills, plain lintels. Stone gutter brackets. Gable coping, end stacks and ridge stack bay 9. Large water- wheel attached left gable end, with stone steps giving access to hub and header tank. The building was formerly known as Foster Beck Mill and was newly built in 1864. The wheel is a 30 horse-power high-breast shot wheel with a rim drive, 35 x 5 feet. The mill was built for spinning twine or linen yarns and was later producing twine. It closed down in 1966 by which time the wheel had been driven by a diesel engine. B Jennings, A History of Nidderdale, 1967, pp 256, 264.

Listing NGR: SE1476466418

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 331145

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 256
Jennings, B, A History of Nidderdale, (1967), 264

End of official listing