CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052291

Date first listed: 17-May-1991

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, A389

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, WESTHEATH AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 01:01:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, A389

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, WESTHEATH AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bodmin

National Grid Reference: SX 06055 66926

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BODMIN

SX0666 WESTHEATH AVENUE (A389) 629-1/3/109 (North side) 17/05/91 Church of St Lawrence

GV II

Anglican chapel. 1859-61. Coursed and dressed limestone with dry Delabole slate roofs. Apsidal chancel, 5-bay nave with south transept and aisle, porches and west bay. Early Pointed style, clearly influenced by the work of Ecclesiological architects such as White who worked in Cornwall. Gabled buttresses linked by sill course beneath paired and deeply-splayed lancets to chancel. Gabled E porch with hoodmould over pointed-arched plank door to south transept which has paired lancets to bellcote set over 2-light window with Geometrical tracery. Nave has small circular clerestory windows with trefoils and quatrefoils beneath eaves. S aisle has splayed lancets and porch with hoodmould over pointed-arched doorway. N elevation of nave has gabled and slightly projecting central bay with porch, flanked by paired lancets, and has vestry to east with pointed-arched doorway. Lower one-bay annexe to west has paired lancets to sides and group of 3 stepped lancets to west. INTERIOR: noted as having open timber roof, nave arcade and original fittings. Built for St Lawrence's Hospital at a cost of ยป1,515 and following its mid C19 expansion. (Kelly: Kelly's Directory of Cornwall: 1906-: 35).

Listing NGR: SX0605566926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 368050

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly Directory' in Cornwall, (1906), 35

End of official listing