MARYCOURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052299

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Statutory Address: MARYCOURT, 39, ST MARY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MARYCOURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052299 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 20:30:31.

Location

Statutory Address: MARYCOURT, 39, ST MARY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: Sedgemoor (District Authority)

Parish: Bridgwater

National Grid Reference: ST 29826 36941

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIDGWATER

ST2936NE ST MARY STREET 736-1/11/172 (South side) 24/03/50 No.39 Marycourt

GV II

House, now part of shopping arcade. Early C17. Timber-frame with plaster; stone party walls corbelled out to first-floor jetty; zig-zag pantile roof. Single-depth range parallel to street. 2 storeys; 3-window range. The timber is carved, mostly restored. Three 6-light scratch-moulded mullioned and transomed first-floor windows. Enriched early C17 carving with vine-leaf, patera, grapes etc to bressumer and eaves fascia; other timbers are similar but mostly late C19. INTERIOR: now a C20 shopping mall with a left-of-centre entrance and no visible features of interest. History: a photograph of 1865 shows the ground floor to be coursed limestone rubble with sash windows to the left and a 5-light stone-mullioned window in a canted bay to the right of the original door position. The original house is said to be the one that Judge Jeffries lodged in during the trials at the " Bloody Assize". (Squibbs PJ: Squibbs' History of Bridgwater: Chichester: 1988-: 48).

Listing NGR: ST2982436932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 373980

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Squibbs, P J, Squibbs History of Bridgwater, (1988), 48

End of official listing