ROCK VILLA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052323
Date first listed:
19-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
ROCK VILLA, DAISY BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROCK VILLA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052323 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 18:39:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROCK VILLA, DAISY BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Edensor
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 24897 69860

Details

PARISH OF EDENSOR DAISY BANK SK 24/2569-24/2570 7/98 (North Side) Rock Villa GV II House. Dated 1839. Probably by Paxton and Robertson. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Diamond pattern stone slate roof, overhanging on paired timber brackets. Ashlar stacks. Plain first floor band. T-plan, two storeys, three bay south elevation has central projecting gabled bay with moulded cornice and decorative bargeboards. The ground floor has a round-arched window rising to a decorative point above and flanked by blind lancets with raised ashlar heads. 2-light casement window with fanlight. The return wall to the left has round-arched doorway with panelled door and traceried fanlight, flanked by blind rectangular lights with plain ashlar surrounds. To the left a 2-light casement with ashlar surround with overhanging returned hoodmould. Return wall to right has a round-arched doorway with a 2-light casement window set in. Traceried fanlight. Flanked by blind rectangular lights with plain ashlar surrounds. To the right is a broad 2-light window with plain ashlar surround and mullion. Decorative cresting above. The first floor has a central tripartite window, flat-arched, with plain ashlar surround. In the return wall to the left a plain rectangular window and to the left a pointed arched window with cross casement and ashlar surround. Return wall to right has a plain rectangular window, and to the right a moulded rectangular panel bearing the date 1839, with decorative cresting above. The gable end to the west has a castellated canted bay window and a blind lancet above. Built as part of the picturesque model village by Paxton for the Sixth Duke of Devonshire. Sources: G F Chadwick. The Works of Joseph Paxton Architectural Press 1961.

Listing NGR: SK2489769860

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
81666
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Chadwick, GF , The Works of Sir Joseph Paxton, (1961)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].