THE UNIVERSITY PRINTING HOUSE (THE CLARENDON PRESS)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052359
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
THE UNIVERSITY PRINTING HOUSE (THE CLARENDON PRESS), WALTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE UNIVERSITY PRINTING HOUSE (THE CLARENDON PRESS)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052359 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 07:45:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE UNIVERSITY PRINTING HOUSE (THE CLARENDON PRESS), WALTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 50858 06914

Details

WALTON STREET 1. 1485 (West Side) The University Printing House (The Claredon Press) SP 5006 NE 4/103 12.1.54. II* 2. Consists of 2 wings, North and South joined by a screen which has a central monumental entranceway, all in the Corinthian order. The front and South wing was begun in 1826 and finished in 1828 to the designs of Daniel Robertson. The North wing and West ranges were completed by 1830 under the direction of Edward Blore. There have since been alterations and additions. The original building is on a Headington stone plinth with Bath stone facing and dressings; the facing was repaired in 1935. The central screen is of 5 bays, the wings each of 3 bays. Casement windows. Handborough stone was used for parts of the interior. Alterations in recent years.

Listing NGR: SP5085806914

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245929
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/10740/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John O'Brien. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].