LYCH GATE AT ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052374
Date first listed:
29-May-1986
Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE AT ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH, HEMP LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCH GATE AT ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052374 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 15:39:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE AT ST BARTHOLOMEW'S CHURCH, HEMP LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
Dacorum (District Authority)
Parish:
Wigginton
National Grid Reference:
SP 94037 10282

Details

WIGGINTON HEMP LANE SP 91 SW (North side) 4/163 - Lych Gate at St. Bartholomew's Church GV II Lych gate. 1910 in memory of 'Arthur Sutton Valpy, Canon of Winchester and patron of this living, died 15 June 1909, created by his relatives Easter 1910'. Oak frame on chamfered stone low sill walls, with steep machine made red tile roof with iron gable cross to front. A small square 2-bay gateway with cusped arcaded sides above a panelled lower part. Heavy chamfered corner posts and trefoil pierced knee braces to cambered tie beam at each gable with open screen in gable and cusped bargeboards. Inscription on tie-beam facing road. Heavy iron lantern supported inside. Pair of gates with cusping and pendant central part, and timber benches to each side. Granite set border to rectangle of pebble pitching.

Listing NGR: SP9403710282

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
355800
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/09134/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nick Jarvis. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].