THE GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052399
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
THE GUILDHALL, ST GILES' SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052399 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 12:20:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GUILDHALL, ST GILES' SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Northampton (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 75580 60487

Details

ST GILES' SQUARE 1. 5327 (North Side) The Guildhall SP 7560 NE 2/75 19.1.52. SP 7560 SE 4/75 II*

2. 1861-4 by E W Godwin. Extended on west, 1889-92, by A W Jeffrey and Matthew Holding. Richly decorated building in C13 Gothic style, of brown and grey stone with Welsh slated roof. 2 main storeys, 14 bay front. Arcaded ground floor has windows with plate tracery, carved panels in tympana. Upper windows interspersed with canopied statues on pedestals. Godwin's eastern half has vaulted central entrance loggia of 3 bays with balcony above under clock tower with steeply pitched roof. West addition of equal frontage, first 3 bays (reduced to 2 on 1st floor) rising to gable with large corner pinnacles. Hall with mural paintings by Colin Gill,1925, and fine Council Chamber. Contains statue, 1817 by Chantrey, of Spencer Perceval, Prime Minister 1809-12. VCH III p 37.

Listing NGR: SP7558060487

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
232199
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 37

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15560/37
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].