CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052435

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, STANDLAKE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052435 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 05:02:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, STANDLAKE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Aston, Cote, Shifford and Chimney

National Grid Reference: SP 34223 03062

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASTON BAMPTON AND SHIFFORD STANDLAKE ROAD SP30SW (North side) Aston 9/20 church of St. James

GV II

Church. 1839, by Thomas Greenshields; sanctuary added 1862 by J. Clarke; further alterations of 1885-9 by H. Drinkwater. Squared and coursed limestone with ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled concrete tile roof. Cruciform plan with west tower. Lancet style. 3-light Geometrical-style east window. One-bay chancel, 2-bay transepts and 4-bay nave have lancet windows with blocks to hood-mould stops. Gabled ends of transepts each have blind round window above ribbed door set in similar pointed doorways. West tower has similar ground-floor lancets, and hood moulds over similar west door and louvred first-stage lancets; broached and ribbed ashlar spire has gablets over trefoiled and louvred lights. Interior: double-chamfered sanctuary and transept arches; similar west doorway. Mid C19 benches, stalls, lectern and Geometrical-style pulpit. Octagonal Geometrical-style font in south transept. Lancet-style panelling in south porch. Queen-strut trusses have pointed-arched braces. Stained glass: C20 memorial glass. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.426).

Listing NGR: SP3422303062

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 252091

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 426

End of official listing