This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NETHER WORTON HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NETHER WORTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1052464

Location

NETHER WORTON HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Worton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 252057

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTON NETHER WORTON SP43SW 3/241 Nether Worton House 27/08/56

GV II*

Manor house. 1653 on datestone, possibly partly earlier, extended c.1920. Coursed squared marlstone with mostly limestone-ashlar dressings; artificial stone-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. 4-unit plan extended to U-plan. 2 storeys plus attic. Outer bays of battlemented 4-window front break forward and have 3 tiers of 3- and 4-light stone-mullioned windows with labels under stepped gable parapets. Left gable window, of 3 lights with transoms, matches the first-floor windows of the middle bays. A C20 single-storey corridor links the projecting bays and has a gabled central porch with a re-set datestone inscribed "D/WE/1653". Roof has end stacks and a massive 4-shaft stack to left of centre. C20 wings extend on both sides, projecting to the front on the right, and on the left linking with a low outbuilding range to form a forecourt. 5-window rear is unaltered and has stone mullioned and transomed windows to both floors plus some smaller mullioned windows in the gabled outer bays. 2-window lower flanking wings are in similar style. Interior: ground floor has stop-chamfered beams. First floor has some stop-chamfered joists, re-used C17 oak panelling, 2 chamfered-stone fireplaces (square-headed and basket-arched), and a beam in the left crosswing has an elaborate chamfer stop incorporating a bar. Cross wings have A-frame trusses with butt and trenched purlins. Main roof has 2 rows of butt purlins, pegged rafters and cambered collars. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.714).

Listing NGR: SP4252730072

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 714

National Grid Reference: SP 42527 30072

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052464 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 07:18:22.

End of official listing