WORTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052466

Date first listed: 18-May-1987

Statutory Address: WORTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WORTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052466 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 05:57:05.

Location

Statutory Address: WORTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Worton

National Grid Reference: SP 43125 29138

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORTON OVER WORTON SP42NW 6/245 Worton House - II Large house. c.1816 for William Wilson, extended and internally re-modelled c.1850. Marlstone ashlar and some render; Welsh-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Double-depth plan. 3 storeys with single-storey wings, partly raised to 2 storeys. Earlier central 3 bays of 7-window front have storey bands, 12-pane sashes, and a central late C19 ashlar porch with a heavy wooden cornice. 2-window wings break forward with 12-pane sashes to right and 4-pane to left. Left wing raised c.1923 with rendered walls. Plain parapets conceal shallow-pitched hipped roofs and carry symmetrical flanking stacks with cornices; the parapet of the right wing sweeping up to 2 end stacks. Rear is plain and has been altered in one bay, but retains an ornamental overlight to the central door. Interior: 3-bay entrance hall with arched recesses and 2 marble fireplaces; other mid C19 decoration; oak stair c.1900. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.296).

Listing NGR: SP4312529138

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 252061

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 296

End of official listing