This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH END

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH END

List entry Number: 1052481

Location

CHURCH END, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Swerford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 252001

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWERFORD CHURCH END SP3731 9/185 Church End

GV II

House. 1720 on datestone. Limestone ashlar and coursed squared rubble; Stanesfield-slate roof with ashlar and brick gable stacks. T-plan. 2 storeys plus attic. 2-window front has a central 4-panel door in a chamfered stone surround with keyblock under a mannered label 2-light stone-mullioned windows in left bay have similar labels but without drops; 3-light windows in right bay have projecting keyblocks and inserted mullions. Carved datestone under a straight moulding is inscribed "M/TA/1720". Rubble right gable wall has 4 small chamfered openings; ashlar left gable wall has aligned mullioned windows of 3, 3 and 2 lights with straight labels. Roof has gable parapets, and the left gable stack has an ashlar plinth. Gable wall of rubble rear wine has 4-light mullioned window. Most windows have leaded glazing. Interior: open fireplace with wooden bressumer; large corner fireplace in stone surround with angle roll. A remarkable combination of sub-medieval forms with C18 detail.

Listing NGR: SP3714231212

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 37142 31212

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 07:00:11.

End of official listing