THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052504

Date first listed: 18-May-1987

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, MANOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 13:25:02.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, MANOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sandford St. Martin

National Grid Reference: SP 41939 26512

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDFORD ST.MARTIN MANOR ROAD SP4126 (South side) 13/144 The Manor House - II Manor house. c.1715, for Joseph Taylor, possibly with earlier elements, extended C19 and 1924. Limestone ashlar and coursed squared rubble; Stonesfield-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Complex plan. 2 and 3 storeys. Central part of the garden front is the original ashlar 5-window entrance front in Baroque style, with 12-pane sashes at ground and first floors, storey bands and a parapet with cornice; the middle 3 bays break forward under a triangular pediment and, at second floor, have segmental-arched casements flanking a taller round-headed window which rises into the pediment under a large keyblock. Outer bays have contemporary ornamental lead rainwater heads. Set back on either side is an added 2-storey bay with sashes plus later extensions with gabled half dormers. Roofs have gable parapets. Present entrance front is C19 and C20 in multi-gabled style with stone-mullioned windows. Interior not inspected but photograph in National Monuments Record shows a stone Tudor-arched fireplace with a plaster overmantel of coat of arms within a border. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.172; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.751).

Listing NGR: SP4193926512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 251955

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 751
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 172

End of official listing