Stable court and lodge adjoining north side of Sandford Park

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052512
Date first listed:
18-May-1987
Statutory Address:
Sandford Park, Ledwell Road, Sandford St Martin, OX7 7AH

Map

Ordnance survey map of Stable court and lodge adjoining north side of Sandford Park
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052512.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 16:13:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
Sandford Park, Ledwell Road, Sandford St Martin, OX7 7AH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sandford St. Martin
National Grid Reference:
SP4199126749

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/04/2018

SP4126, SP4226 13/165, 14/165 SANDFORD ST MARTIN LEDWELL ROAD (West side) Stable court and lodge adjoining north side of Sandford Park

(Formerly listed under WORTON ROAD)

GV II Stable court and lodge. c.1700, possibly partly earlier, and C19. Limestone rubble with marlstone ashlar dressings; coursed squared marlstone; limestone ashlar; concrete plain-tile roofs. L-shaped plan. Two storeys.

Five-window rubble range adjoining Sandford Park (q.v.) has three-light stone-mullioned windows at first floor, a blocked central archway with keyblock, and it retains a four-panel door with shallow wooden canopy on consoles. Range projecting from right is built around a marlstone fronted square dovecote, with a pyramid roof, rising above a double-arched coach house; four-window section to left, and three-window section to right of it have further mullioned windows and three more doors with canopies.

C19 ashlar lodge and archway, at end of projecting range, have mullioned windows and elaborate Dutch gables with carved arms; the lodge was probably converted from a barn.

Interiors not inspected.

Listing NGR: SP4199126749

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251978
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 751
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 173
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1940)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].