SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052516

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1987

Statutory Address: SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE, NEW ROAD

Statutory Address: SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE, OLD ROAD

Statutory Address: SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 22:08:57.

Location

Statutory Address: SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE, NEW ROAD

Statutory Address: SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE, OLD ROAD

Statutory Address: SCHOOL AND SCHOOLHOUSE, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Great Tew

National Grid Reference: SP 39581 29252

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT TEW THE GREEN SP3929 (South side) 10/78 School and Schoolhouse 27/08/56 (Formerly listed as School) GV II

School and schoolhouse. 1852. Coursed squared marlstone with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roofs with limestone ashlar stacks. 2 L-shaped ranges around a small courtyard. To left of front, shorter wing of schoolroom range has a gabled stone porch with arched entrance between 2-light stone-mullioned windows with lattice glazing and labels; left gable has a large canopied bellcote above a 4-light stone mullioned-and-transomed window; 5-window rear wing has 2-light mullioned-and-transomed windows, all with labels, and another 4-light window in the rear gable wall. Shorter wing of schoolhouse range is set back to right of the front, behind later flat-roofed extensions, and returns on right with stone-mullioned windows of 3, 1 and 2 lights below stone-gabled dormers of 2, 1 and 2 lights, all with labels and lattice glazing. Rear gable wall has a 2-light mullioned window above a canted 4-light bay window with stone mullions and crenellated stone roof. Roofs have gable parapets with carved kneelers and clusters of octagonal stacks with moulded caps. Interior not inspected. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.225; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.627).

Listing NGR: SP3958129252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 251890

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 627
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 225

End of official listing