The Grange

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052523
Date first listed:
18-May-1987
Statutory Address:
The Grange, Little Tew

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Grange
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052523.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 03:09:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Grange, Little Tew

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Little Tew
National Grid Reference:
SP 38094 28650

Details

SP3828 11/99

LITTLE TEW The Grange II Vicarage, now house. c.1858 for Revd. F. Garrett by G.E Street, extended 1869 by C. Buckeridge and 1880 by E. Bruton. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate and plain-tile roofs with stone stacks.

Complex Z-shaped plan. Gothic style. Two storeys and two storeys plus attic. Entrance front has a central stone porch, a canted bay window to left, and has to right a gable above a trefoil-headed mullion- and -transom first-floor window. The higher range projecting from the right is a later addition and has a turret in the angle capped by a timber-framed second-floor studio with an octagonal pyramid roof. The four-window garden front, returning to left, has a projecting gabled bay to right, a two-storey canted bay window to left, and includes two other gables and a large buttressed stack; several first-floor windows have trefoiled heads and most windows have transoms. Probably all is by Street except for the gabled verandah and the ashlar conservatory, set back to left, which were early C20 additions. A further parallel rear range projects to left.

Interior: hall has pointed stone arches and a glass dome. Single-storey wing at rear now contains a private theatre.

Listing NGR: SP3809428650

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251909
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 691
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 249

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/12385/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Sheppard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].