This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCHYARD GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES EAST OF THE VICARAGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCHYARD GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES EAST OF THE VICARAGE

List entry Number: 1052540

Location

CHURCHYARD GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES EAST OF THE VICARAGE, NEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Tew

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251850

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT TEW NEW ROAD SP3928 (East side) 12/40 Churchyard gateway approx. 27/08/56 20m. E of The Vicarage (Formerly listed as Gateway leading to Churchyard) GV II Gateway with gate. Early/mid C17; mid C19 gate. Limestone ashlar with cast-iron gate. Gateway is formed from re-used piers which have, on the front, vermiculated banding and break forward to contain shell-headed recesses below oval niches. The head consists of inverted festoons of fruit flanking a double-stepped keyblock; a moulded coping extends over the piers. The rear of the doorway has an angle roll. Probably originally a much wider gateway in the grounds of Great Tew House (q.v.). (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire. Vol.XI, p.244; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.626; C.Hussey, "Great Tew, Oxfordshire - I", Country Life, July 22, 1949).

Listing NGR: SP3977828809

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 626
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 244
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1949)

National Grid Reference: SP3977828809

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2018 at 09:30:10.

End of official listing