WALLED GARDENS APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052541

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 18-May-1987

Statutory Address: WALLED GARDENS APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLED GARDENS APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 08:38:16.

Location

Statutory Address: WALLED GARDENS APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Great Tew

National Grid Reference: SP3980428936

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT TEW NEW ROAD SP3928 (East side) 12/39 Walled gardens approx. 100m. W 27/08/56 of Church of St. Michael and All Angels (Formerly listed as Great Tew Park together with the Dovecote, stable quadrangle with gateway and garden walls) GV II Walled garden. Late C17/early C18. Limestone rubble and coursed squared marlstone with brick lining. A series of 3 rectangular enclosures. Walls are approx. 3m. high and have a 2-course triangular coping, various shallow buttresses, segmental-arched C19 doorways to west and other square-headed doorways with angle roll which may be C17 reset. Interior walls have some flared bricks and partly built-up archways. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.XI, p.227; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.627; C. Hussey, "Great Tew, Oxfordshire", Country Life, July 22, 1949).

Listing NGR: SP3980428936

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 251852

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 227
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1949)

End of official listing