GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052543
Date first listed:
18-May-1987
Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052543.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 23:38:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
GROUP OF 3 CHEST TOMBS APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Great Tew
National Grid Reference:
SP 39940 28841

Details

GREAT TEW NEW ROAD SP3928 (East side) 12/48 Group of 3 chest tombs approx. 25m. S of Church of St. Michael and All Angels GV II 3 chest tombs. 1703, 1718 and 1744. Marlstone. Earliest has a moulded cover and recessed panels surrounded by egg and dart; southern panels contain verses and western commemorates Lisley, wife of John Hyorne, Mason (died 1703). Tomb to north has a moulded cover, shield-shaped end panels flanked by consoles, and a rectangular panel to north flanked by scrolls and commemorating John Hyorn, mason (died) 1718. Tomb to west has a moulded corner and fielded panels; inscription commemorates Cathrine, wife of John Hyorn, Mason (died 1744).

Listing NGR: SP3994028841

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251860
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07112/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].