THE PLAYPEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1052618

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1952

Statutory Address: THE PLAYPEN, 20, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PLAYPEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052618 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:47:59.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PLAYPEN, 20, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Chipping Norton

National Grid Reference: SP3139927170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIPPING NORTON HIGH STREET SP 3027-3127 3/24 No 20 (The Playpen) 23.4.52 GV II* House, now shop. Late C14 core, rebuilt circa 1730, altered and refaced in the C20. Ashlar with a gabled slate roof. Two storeys and attic, 3 bays. Moulded cornice, moulded and eared architraves with large keystones to first floor windows linked by band. Two dormers with 2-pane casements, 12-pane sashes to first floor. C20 shop front to ground floor and passage opening to right-hand with pronounced keystone. The undercroft below the ground floor front has late C14 octopartite vaulting with chamfered ribs springing from 4 corbels all carved with faces. The roadside wall, once giving access to the street before the market place was terraced in the late C17, has one 2 cusped light window under a flat head to the N and a similar 1-light window to the S. Two cupboard openings in the E wall.



Listing NGR: SP3139927170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 251635

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing