GUILDHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052632
Date first listed:
23-Apr-1952
Statutory Address:
GUILDHALL, MIDDLE ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 22:40:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
GUILDHALL, MIDDLE ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipping Norton
National Grid Reference:
SP 31385 27230

Details

CHIPPING NORTON MIDDLE ROW SP 3027-3127 (east side) 3/58 Guildhall 23.4.52 GV II Former Guildhall, now council offices. Circa 1500-20, extended in the early C18 and the C19 of rubblestone covered with roughcast, stone dressings and a stone tiled roof gabled at the N end and half hipped at the S. Originally a 3-bay first floor hall with a 2-bay early C18 S extension and a one-bay C19 N addition. Externally the early C16 features on the hall section are 2-light mullions with Tudor arched heads to the E and a 3-light mullion on the W rear wall. At ground floor level on the E front is a doorway with a four-centred head, spandrels carved with quatrefoils and mouchettes and chamfered jambs. Other features on this front include an early C18 depressed archway. Inside the hall section has an early C16 timber roof structure with 2 bays of principal rafters, collars and arch- bracing corbels and trenched purlins.



Listing NGR: SP3138527230

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251670
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05947/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Sheppard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].