2 GIBBS MEMORIALS ABOUT 25 YARDS SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF ST MARYS CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052642
Date first listed:
20-Jun-1986
Statutory Address:
2 GIBBS MEMORIALS ABOUT 25 YARDS SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF ST MARYS CHURCH

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2 GIBBS MEMORIALS ABOUT 25 YARDS SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF ST MARYS CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052642 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 11:37:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
2 GIBBS MEMORIALS ABOUT 25 YARDS SOUTH OF SOUTH PORCH OF ST MARYS CHURCH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Chipping Norton
National Grid Reference:
SP 31180 27315

Details

CHIPPING NORTON SP 3027 - 3127 3/101 2 Gibbs memorials about 25 yards south of south - porch of St Mary's Church GV II 2 chest tombs. Mid C19. Ashlar. The North tomb spectacular in Portland stone: neo-classical style; to John (died 1860) and Emma (died 1859) Gibbs. Moulded plinth and cornice, end vertical brackets with paterae Shaped top feature with flanking scrolls, central fluted panel, coved base and corner anthemion acroteria. The south tomb to Thomas (died 1844) and Sarah (died 1842) Gibbs: chest tomb with moulded plinth and cornice, panelled corner piers decorated with husks and raised inscription panels. The two tombs have a similarity which suggests the same mason, despite the obvious difference in material and effect.



Listing NGR: SP3118027315

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251593
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05948/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Sheppard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].