This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CO OPERATIVE CHEMIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CO OPERATIVE CHEMIST

List entry Number: 1052656

Location

CO OPERATIVE CHEMIST, 7, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Chipping Norton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251627

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIPPING NORTON HIGH STREET SP 3027-3127 3/16 No 7 (Co-operative Chemist) 23.4.52 GV II* House, now shop. Circa 1730 of ashlar and dressed stone copings with a gabled stone tiled roof and end stone based stacks with brick caps. Three storeys and attic, 4 bays. Two segmental headed dormers with 6-pane lights, sash windows to upper 2 floors in moulded round heads with fluted keystones and pronounced abacu. Four half fluted Doric pilasters articulate the principal 2 storeys and support a triglyph frieze and plain parapet. The ground floor has 4 arched openings set in heavy rustication and a bracketted string course from which the pilasters rise. Six-panel C19 door to right-hand opening, glazed C20 door to 3rd bay fron the right flanked by late C19 Regency style window surrounds with reeded jambs and brackets. Inside features survive which suggest that the build- ing was a major town house of the borough. These include 2 rooms with C18 decorative schemes. The NW room on the first floor has an ogee bracket and dentil cornice, 2 early C18 inches set in bolection moulded panelling and raised fielded panelling in the window reveals. A connecting room has a similar cornice with paterae, a stucco overmantel of swaggs set in an eggand tongue surround and a central leaf-entwined rose. Countemporary doors with raised fielded panels. The Chemist's is the most outstanding example of the borough's local Baroque style inspired by the proximity of Vanbrugh's Blenheim Palace.



Listing NGR: SP3136927070

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 31369 27070

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052656 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2017 at 07:36:41.

End of official listing