BUSCOT PARK: EAST PAVILION WITH ATTACHED TERRACE WALLS AND GATEPIER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1052682

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1990

Statutory Address: EAST PAVILION WITH ATTACHED TERRACE WALLS AND GATEPIER, BUSCOT PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUSCOT PARK: EAST PAVILION WITH ATTACHED TERRACE WALLS AND GATEPIER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052682 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 12:25:58.

Location

Statutory Address: EAST PAVILION WITH ATTACHED TERRACE WALLS AND GATEPIER, BUSCOT PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse (District Authority)

Parish: Buscot

National Grid Reference: SU2434696809

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/09/2012

SU29NW 1/105 10/11/52

BUSCOT Buscot Park, east pavilion with attached terrace walls and gatepier.

(Formerly listed as Buscot Park, east pavilion with attached tonne walls and gatepier)

(Formerly listed with Buscot Park)

GV II

Pavilion (part of country house). Circa 1935 by Geddes Hyslop for 2nd Baron Faringdon. Limestone ashlar. 7-bay range running parallel with main axis of mansion (q.v.) has both ends porticoed with 4 Tuscan Doric columns in antis and roundels in pediments. Longer side breaks forward in the wider middle bay which contains an open archway below a triangular pediment. Roof has a central cupola. Barrel-vaulted passage is decorated with frescoes of a Socialist theme by Lord Hastings. Stone retaining walls punctuated by low piers with vases and by flights of steps extend along the east side of the north terrace, and to south ramp up to a raised balustrade adjoining the panelled northern pier of the south-east gateway to the forecourt. The walls form part of an elaborate formal landscape scheme surrounding the mansion. (q.v. also west pavilion and south screen.) (Country Life, 18, 25 May 1940; National Trust Guidebook to Buscot Park).

Listing NGR: SU2434696809

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 251483

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guidebook to Buscot Park
'Country Life' in 25 May, , Vol. 18, (1940)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

End of official listing