WEST GATEPIER APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052734
Date first listed:
06-Aug-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
WEST GATEPIER APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE MANOR HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST GATEPIER APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 23:12:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST GATEPIER APPROXIMATELY 20 METRES SOUTH EAST OF THE MANOR HOUSE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Sutton Courtenay
National Grid Reference:
SU 50241 94129

Details

SUTTON COURTENAY CHURCH STREET SU5094 (West side) 7/107 WestGatepier approx. 20m SE of 06/08/52 The Manor House (Formerly listed as No.7 (The e Manor House including gatepiers and barn))

GV II*

Gatepier. Circa 1670. Stone ashlar. Square pier. Stone banding to sides. Round-topped niches to sides facing house, and opposing side. Cornice to top with pulvinated frieze, the centre of each side breaks forward on brackets. Ball finial. One of a pair of gatepiers marking former path of entrance drive. Similar to the gatepiers at Coleshill by Sir Roger Pratt.

Listing NGR: SU5024194129

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251423
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00493/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].