CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052756
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052756 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 08:31:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
West Challow
National Grid Reference:
SU 36666 88328

Details

WEST CHALLOW SU38NE 2/178 Church of St. Laurence 24/11/66

GV II*

Church. Late C12; late C13 chancel; restored in mid C19. Roughcast over limestone walling; limestone ashlar dressings; stone slate roof; C20 lateral brick stack on limestone ashlar base. Nave and chancel. Late C13 two-light east window, angle buttresses. Side walls of chancel have C15 two-light square-headed windows. South side of nave has mid C19 Plate-tracery 2-light windows flanking early C16 four-centred moulded and blocked doorway. North side of nave has mid C19 two-light C15 style window and late C12 round-headed doorway with waterleaf capitals to single order of shafts. C15 gabled porch has cusped and decorative bargeboard; timber structure and screens to sides over low limestone rubble wall restored in mid C19. West gable has angle buttresses, late C13 trefoil-headed lancet and late C13 double bellcote. Gabled roof. Interior: Chancel has 2 corbels for statues, piscina restored in mid C19, wall tablet to Elizabeth Hobbs, d.1757, and John Hobbs, d.1730. C15 chancel screen with one-light divisions. Nave has early C17 panelled pulpit and C13 tub-shaped font. C18 tie-beam roof. Stained glass: Mid/late C19, except fragments of C15 glass at top of east window. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.262-3).

Listing NGR: SU3666688328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251277
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 262 263

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/16631/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].