This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1052766

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Appleford-on-Thames

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251305

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

APPLEFORD CHURCH STREET SU59SW (North side) 4/2 Church of St. Peter and St. 09/02/66 Paul

GV II

Church. Romanesque origins; C13 chancel; nave rebuilt by Ewan Christian c.1880; tower by W. Sillbee Scott c.1885. Squared stone in random courses, with ashlar stone dressings; C19. plain-tile roofs to nave and chancel; stone spire to tower. 4-bay nave, 2-bay chancel and west tower plan. Early,C20 porch to right of centre of nave; having coursed squared stone plinth, with timber-framed upper portion; gabled plain-tile roof. Double plank doors to 4-centred archway. Plank inner door to round-arched doorway. C19 round-headed lancet to left of centre of nave. C19 cusped lancet to left. C19 two-light Perpendicular tracery window to right of nave with possibly re-sited hood-mould. Blocked 2-centred arched doorway to left of centre of chancel. Single-light stone transomed window to left of chancel with bottom light blocked. C15 paired lancet to right. Single lancet to east end of chancel. Rear: blocked round-arched doorway to left of centre of nave, having moulded imposts. C19 two-light Reticulated tracery windows to left of nave, and to right of centre. C19 cusped lancet to right. Vestry forms cat-slide addition to chancel at left with plank door to left and lancet to left return. 3stage west tower with spire, angle buttresses. Cusped lancets to each side of first and second stages. 2-light louvred Geometrical tracery openings to third stage. Square spire with half-hipped lucarnes with Geometrical tracery openings. Interior not inspected but reputed to have early C18 altar rail. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: l975, p65) '

Listing NGR: SU5304093703

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 65

National Grid Reference: SU 53040 93703

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052766 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 05:02:41.

End of official listing