CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052771
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 10:01:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Drayton
National Grid Reference:
SU 48049 94140

Details

DRAYTON CHURCH LANE SU4894 (East side) 6/12 Church of Saint Peter 09/02/66

GV II*

Church. Circa 1200 origins; C13. navel C15 north aisle and west tower; chancel arch c.1855, and arch to tower; chancel and south transept restored, with some rebuilding, c.1855; south porch restored c.1879 by E. Dolby of Abingdon; church restored after fire of 1959. Stone uncoursed rubble; stone ashlar to end of south transept; coursed squared stone to chancel; copper sheet roof to nave; lead roof to south transept, and to north aisle; old plain-tile roof to chancel. 6-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, north aisle, south transept and west tower. 2-centred archway on octagonal half-columns to porch at centre of nave. Stone benches to interior and C19 roof. 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and 2-centre arched 6-panel door (dated 1700 to panels). C19 Perpendicular style windows to nave. C20 Perpendicular tracery window to end of transept. Lancets to sides of transept, Round-arched doorway with plank door to centre of chancel. C19 paired lancets to left and right, with hood moulds. Triple lancet window to east end of chancel. C19 Perpendicular tracery window to east end of north aisle. 3-liqht Perpendicular windows to north aisle, with some C19 restoration. West end of north aisle has 2-light stone mullion window with cusped lights and hood mould, Tower has 4-centred arched doorway to west side with quatrefoil spandrels and plank door. 3-light Perpendicular tracery. Window with 2-centre arched head above. 2-light stone mullioned louvred opening with cusped lights to each side of top of tower. South face has stair turret to right with slit windows. Battlemented parapet to tower. Interior: 2-bay arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel with cusped struts rising from collar, and having cusped wind braces, C19 piscina and sedillia to right of altar. C19 choirstalls, C15 lancet into vestry. 2 centred segmental arch to organ bay. C19 two-centred chancel arch of curved corbels. Perpendicular roof to south transept with wood tracery above collar, on stone corbels carved with winged angels. C15 alabaster reredos. 2-centred transept arch on carved stone corbels. Lean-to roof to north aisle. Perpendicular north arcade of 4 four-centred arches on shafts of four-shafts-and-four-hallows section. C20 six-bay king-post roof to nave. C17 wood hexagonal pulpit to right of chancel arch. Romanesque stone barrel font. Some C15 pews. (Buildings of England: Berkshire: pl30, l975)

Listing NGR: SU4804994140

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
251315
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 130

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00464/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David J Mazey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].