Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1052776

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957



Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052776 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Mar-2019 at 02:21:04.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Heythrop

National Grid Reference: SP 35223 27713


HEYTHROP SP32NE 5/80 Old Church of St. Nicholas 27/08/57


Chancel of church, now cemetery chapel. C12 and C15, altered C19. Limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; Stonesfield-slate roof. 2-bay chancel. 4-centre-arched C15 east window has Perpendicular drop tracery. Square-headed windows of 2 and 3 lights facing south are also C15 and have cusped lights, deep casement mouldings and square-stopped labels; between them is a blocked round-headed lancet above which is a relief of the Agnus Dei, and the south-west buttress also has a re-set early relief of 2 figures holding crooks. North wall has a small blocked round-headed window below a small square blocking. West wall incorporates the C12 chancel arch, with a band of alternating cable mould, flanked by pairs of round-headed niches, each with roll-moulded arch and jamb shafts; set into the chancel arch is the C12 former south doorway, with an elaborate arch of 5 ornamented orders, the jambs including 2 pairs of detached shafts with waterleaf capitals. Interior: fine trefoil-headed C13 piscina has a moulded surround, a stone credence shelf and a carving of a bunch of grapes at the rear. Cinquefoil-headed recess and a blocked round-headed doorway to north. Butt-purlin roof is probably C17/C18 but has re-used rafters. Elaborate panelled chest tomb to south of sanctuary has a Purbeck-marble cover with brasses commemorating John Ashfield (d.1521) and his wife Elenor, and forms part of a larger monument with the window above, in which they are also shown with their children in stained glass. Monuments also include a large coloured-marble wall memorial to George Talbot, 15th Earl of Shrewsbury (d.1787) by J.F. Moore, with an oval relief below an achievment of arms; and a white marble monument commemorating Mary, the mother of the 15th Earl. The east window also includes medieval stained glass. Small stone font on a panelled stem may be C17. (Buildings of England: Oxforeshire: pp696-7; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, pp141-2)

Listing NGR: SP3522327713


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 253261

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 696-7
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 141-2

End of official listing