NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK STAFF COLLEGE - SHREWSBURY AND ARCHER WINGS, BALUSTRADING, WALLS, STEPS, GATES, GATEPIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052782
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Aug-1988
Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK STAFF COLLEGE - SHREWSBURY AND ARCHER WINGS, BALUSTRADING, WALLS, STEPS, GATES, GATEPIERS

Map

Ordnance survey map of NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK STAFF COLLEGE - SHREWSBURY AND ARCHER WINGS, BALUSTRADING, WALLS, STEPS, GATES, GATEPIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 16:53:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK STAFF COLLEGE - SHREWSBURY AND ARCHER WINGS, BALUSTRADING, WALLS, STEPS, GATES, GATEPIERS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Heythrop
National Grid Reference:
SP 36335 26444

Details

HEYTHROP HEYTHROP PARK SP32NE 5/86 National Westminster Bank 27/08/57 Staff College - Shrewsbury and Archer Wings, balustrading, walls, steps, gates, gatepiers (Formerly listed as Heythrop House (College of St. Robert Bellarmine)

GV II

Subsidiary wings and garden features of country house. 1871 by Alfred Waterhouse for Albert Brassey; wings partly rebuilt and enlarged 1923 by Romaine Walker. Limestone and marlstone ashlar; Welsh-slate roofs. Quadrangular plans. 2 storeys. 17- and 18-window C20 fronts of Shrewsbury and Archer Wings, on opposite sides of the forecourt to the Main House (q.v.), are divided into 2- and 3-bay sections by plain pilasters supporting a stone cornice, and have 12-pane sashes with recessed architraves. Arched entrances to each wing are flanked by paired limestone Ionic columns supporting entablatures. 15- and 13-window return fronts, parallel with the Main House, have similar details but include 2-bay projections marking the ends of the forecourt ranges. C19 remaining sides of Shrewsbury Wing are in limestone: the left side including a central archway with elaborate iron gates flanked by pedimented projections; the rusticated single-storey garden front with pilasters between each round-arched window and a balustraded parapet, and including an arched entrance with paired Tuscan columns. Courtyard of Shrewsbury Wing has arched windows, stone dormers, and includes a higher section with a clock in the pediment and an ornamental weathervane. The garden front of Archer Wing, formerly the C19 conservatory, has an 11-bay front with Tuscan pilasters, paired at the ends and in the central section. Forecourt fronts of short arcaded links between Main House and Wings are probably fragments of Thomas Archer's open screen of 1705. Balustraded walls enclose the forecourt, meeting in iron gates and stone gatepiers, and extend partway along the area to the Main House linking with the steps. Similar walls linked with stone steps enclose 2 Italian gardens on the garden front, continue around 4 sections of the gravel terrace, in places forming retaining walls, and extend along both sides of a lower lawn. Balustrading and steps are probably all 19 work. Late-C20 ranges forming fourth side of Archer Wing and continuing to south are not of special architectural interest. (Heythrop Park is included at Grade II* in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p647; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p135; Country Life: 28th August 1905, p270)

Listing NGR: SP3633526444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253267
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 647
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983)
'Country Life' in 28 August, (1905), 270
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15266/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J. B. Moseley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].