ONE VILLAGE THE MARLBOROUGH ARMS HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052822
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
ONE VILLAGE, 28, OXFORD STREET
Statutory Address:
THE MARLBOROUGH ARMS HOTEL, 26, OXFORD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ONE VILLAGE
THE MARLBOROUGH ARMS HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 03:05:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
ONE VILLAGE, 28, OXFORD STREET
Statutory Address:
THE MARLBOROUGH ARMS HOTEL, 26, OXFORD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Woodstock
National Grid Reference:
SP 44605 16763

Details

WOODSTOCK OXFORD STREET SP4416NE (East side) 10/176 Nos.26 and 28 (The Marlborough 18/10/49 Arms Hotel and One Village) (Formerly listed as The Marlborough Arms Hotel) GV II Hotel, now hotel and shop. c.1750, with earlier origins. Limestone ashlar; gabled concrete tile roofs; brick stacks. Courtyard plan. Georgian-style front. No.28 of 3-storey, symmetrical 4-window range: raised chamfered quoin strips and raised storey band; scrolled wrought-iron brackets support large flat hood over panelled double doors set in moulded stone architrave. Keyed stone lintels over 6-pane sashes and 6-pane second-floor sashes, all early C18 with thick glazing bars. Moulded cornice beneath rendered brick architrave. Front of No.26 to right of 3-storey and attic, 2-window range: similar sashes; segmental-arched carriage arch with imposts set in architectural frame with Tuscan pilasters to moulded entablature; storey band and late C18 dentilled wood cornice; 2 hipped roof dormers. Mid C18 rear left wing, of 2-storey-and-attic, 4-window range: canted bay window has Venetian doorway with thick glazing bars to flanking sashes; segmental arches over C19 two-light first-floor casements; C18 hipped roof dormers. 2-storey mid C18 ranges to rear and right of courtyard, with through-entry to rear; further C18 range to rear. Interior: mid C18 six-panelled doors throughout. Room to left has fine mid C18 panelling with pilasters framing keyed niche and marble fireplace with bracketed mantel. Rear hall has early C19 quarter-turn stairs with stick balusters, and mid C18 fireplace; mid C18 stone. fireplace with Marlborough Arms set in overmantle in rear room. History: mostly built in 1750s, but formerly the George Inn (recorded in 1469). In the 1750s, The Plough Inn - now Fox House and No.32 (q.v.) - was demolished and rebuilt and The George refronted to make the Marlborough Arms Hotel. Main elevation formerly surmounted by a pediment. (Information from VCH)

Listing NGR: SP4460516763

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253168
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Dec 2001
Reference: IOE01/05566/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].