SANDYS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052832
Date first listed:
30-Aug-1988
Statutory Address:
SANDYS HOUSE, BULL HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SANDYS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052832 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 15:45:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
SANDYS HOUSE, BULL HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Chadlington
National Grid Reference:
SP 32746 21967

Details

SP32SW CHADLINGTON BULL HILL (South side) 7/9 Sandys House

GV II

Public house, now house. Early/mid C18 and late C18/early C19. Rendered brick with ashlar dressings; coursed limestone rubble; concrete plain-tile roofs with stone-and-brick gable stacks. 2-unit plan with linked parallel range to rear. 2 storeys plus attic. Symmetrical rendered 3-window front in Baroque style, with ashlar rusticated quoins, storeybands and a deep moulded cornice, has a central keyed occulus above a pedimented C20 porch which incorporates the C18 stone-architraved doorway; outer bays have 12-pane sashes in plain stone architraves with double-stepped keyblocks. Steep-pitched roof has gable parapets. Sides and rear are rubble. Later range projects considerably to the right. Interior: first floor retains a formal arrangement with the arched entry to the attic stairs flanked by fielded-panelled doors;, butt-purl in roof. The rendering is a late-C20 addition. Formerly the Sandys Arms public house; the Sandys family held the Manor of Chadlington West from 1785 to 1835. (The Hon. T.G. Roche, Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church, 1971, pp5-6)

Listing NGR: SP3274621967

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253190
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Roche, TG , Historical Notes on Chadlington and its Church, 1971,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08688/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Sheppard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].