PARK FARMBUILDINGS AND 1 AND 2, PARK FARM COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1052877
Date first listed:
27-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
PARK FARM COTTAGES, 1 AND 2
Statutory Address:
PARK FARMBUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARK FARMBUILDINGS AND 1 AND 2, PARK FARM COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052877 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 01:07:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARK FARM COTTAGES, 1 AND 2
Statutory Address:
PARK FARMBUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Blenheim
National Grid Reference:
SP4245017026

Details

BLENHEIM SP41NW 2/21 Park Farmbuildings, and Nos.1 and 2 Park Farm Cottages - II Farmbuildings and cottages. 1768, by Capability Brown; remodelled and buildings to rear and cottages built c.1858. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; gabled concrete tile roofs; Welsh slate roofs to covered yards and hipped corrugated iron roofs to attached central ranges. Courtyard plan. One-storey front range has central 2-storey archway, which has fleuree cross surmounting stone-coped gable with moulded kneelers and keyed semi-circular arch with imposts over plank double doors. Archway flanked by wings each of 3-window range, with keyed flat stone arches over blocked windows and 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned window to left. Segmental stone arches over plank stable doors and hit-and-miss ventilators to looseboxes to rear. Range enclosing right side of courtyard has segmental arches over arcaded shelter sheds, with brick dressings to rear shelter shed, which has roothouse to rear. Range enclosing left side of courtyard has through-entry to rear, and haylofts over similar loosebox range and, facing outer side, 6-bay segmental-arched cartshed range and 2 implement sheds with plank double doors. Shelter sheds with segmental-arched arcades extend from sides to centre of yard dividing it into 4 smaller yards; plank doors to shelter sheds and covered yards to front, supported on brick piers and with iron-trussed roof; 5-bay shelter shed to rear, with timber posts and collar-truss roof. Range enclosing rear of courtyard has central 9-bay barn: ventilation slits, central through-entry and queen-post roof with iron bracing; floor to right of barn has fly wheels connected to 2-storey engine house to rear, with timber lintels over plank double doors and casements. To front and rear of right side of farm are two cottages built in 1858: each of one storey and attic; stone-coped gable end with moulded kneelers has lancet window set above 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows; cottage to front has 4-centred arched doorway with sunk spandrels; ridge stacks of stone with brick flues. Capability Brown built the farm as a menagerie for the Fourth Duke of Marlborough. The gateway and flanking wings of the front range survive but have been much remodelled: Brown built this range in Gothick style. (Blenheim Park is included in the HBMC Register of Parks and Gardens at Grade I; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p474; D. Green, Blenheim Palace: 1951, p198)

Listing NGR: SP4245017026

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253003
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Green, D, Blenheim Palace, (1951), 198
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 474
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06988/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].