This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STABLES AT MANOR FARM

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLES AT MANOR FARM

List entry Number: 1052894

Location

STABLES AT MANOR FARM, BALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tackley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 253040

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TACKLEY BALL LANE SP4720 (West side) 5/54 Stables at Manor Farm 27/08/57 (Formerly listed as Barn at Manor Farm) GV II* Stables. Said to be of 1616 and built for John Harborne. Regular coursed limestone with wide and narrow courses and irregular alternating quoins, and splay plinth. Thatched roof. 2 high storeys and attic; 6 bays. Symmetrical front is treated as a pair of identical structures, each with a chamfered shallow Tudor-arched doorway, with jambs of large blocks. Left doorway has a C20 stable door; right doorway has a plank door. Horizontally-set oval window above each door; first floor has similar doorways. Small 2-light chamfered mullioned windows to left and right of each door have iron bars. Return sides have a similar window to each floor. Interior has run-out chamfered beams. Very fine example of a C17 stable. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p803; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp198-199)

Listing NGR: SP4769520447

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 803
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1969), 198-99
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SP4769520447

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052894 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:53:37.

End of official listing