Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of PARROTTS SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052905.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 07:39:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


WOOTTON CHURCH STREET SP4319 (West side) 15/307 Parrotts School GV II School. Building to right has inscribed tablet reading GIRLS SCHOOL/FOUNDED/1836. Coursed limestone rubble; gabled stone slate roof; moulded stone right end stack. 2 storeys; 2-window range. Timber lintels over C19 two-light leaded casements, with small iron opening lights. Building to left has inscribed tablet reading PARROTTS SCHOOL/ENDOWED/1788/BUILT 1835. Similar materials, with brick end stack. One-storey, 3-window range. Stone lintels over 3-light chamfered wood-mullioned windows. Left bay has stone lintel over C20 window above C20 door set in chamfered stone surround. Late C19 rear wing with large stone lateral stack. Endowed with income of 61 pounds per annum from Parrott's charity of 1788, and later by Reverend Charles Lee who built the Girl's School and had School Cottages and Balliol Cottage built as an endowment to provide for education of 6 girls. Included for group value. (Kelly's Directory, 1883, p716; VCH: Oxfordshire, Vol XI, p284)

Listing NGR: SP4389019811


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1983), 284
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1883), 716


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04883/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].