STATUE OF MERCURY IN BRIDGEMAN'S AMPHITHEATRE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1052957
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
STATUE OF MERCURY IN BRIDGEMAN'S AMPHITHEATRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE OF MERCURY IN BRIDGEMAN'S AMPHITHEATRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1052957 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 19:48:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATUE OF MERCURY IN BRIDGEMAN'S AMPHITHEATRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Rousham
National Grid Reference:
SP 47811 24396

Details

ROUSHAM ROUSHAM PARK GARDENS SP4724 14/236 Statue of Mercury in 27/08/57 Bridgeman's Amphitheatre (Formerly listed under Lower and Cascades in Venus' Vale including the statue of Mercury ....) GV II* Statue. Early C18, probably by John Van Nost. Lead statue of Mercury stands on limestone panelled pedestal with moulded plinth and cornice. One of a group of 3 statues - including Bacchus (q.v.) and Ceres (q.v.) - which stand in front of the traces of an amphitheatre which was part of Charles Bridgeman's layout of the 1720s. Part of the landscape gardens laid out by William Kent between 1733 and 1740. (Rousham Park is included in the H. B. M. C. Register of Parks and Gardens at Grade I; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p746)

Listing NGR: SP4781124396

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
252892
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 746
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].