COMBE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1053003

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1957

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: COMBE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of COMBE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1053003 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 23:59:45.

Location

Statutory Address: COMBE HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: West Oxfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Combe

National Grid Reference: SP 41349 15843

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COMBE SP4115 17/48 Combe House and attached wall 27/08/57 (Formerly listed as Combe House) GV II Rectory, now house. Early C17 to rear; mainly c.1812. Coursed limestone rubble, with dressed stone and ashlar to front; gabled stone slate roofs, with some Welsh slate; moulded Georgian-style end and lateral stone ashlar stacks. Courtyard plan. Early C19 Tudor/Gothick Revival style. 2-storey, 3-window range front. 2-light stone-mullioned and cinquefoil-headed windows with 4-pane sashes; similar windows in 2-storey canted bay to left. Label moulds continued as string course beneath parapet. Similar bay window and attached doorway in right gable end. Similar windows in parapeted gable end of wing to right, which has early C19 label moulds over 2 plank doors, and early C19 mullioned windows. Wing to left has segmental-arched stair-windows, and early C19 label moulds over C20 windows. Crenellated parapets to side wings. Rear wing has crow-stepped gables, an early C19 two-centred arched doorway; hood moulds over C17 five-light leaded ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned window and similar early C19 four-light windows. Interior: dog-leg staircase to left with stick balusters. Gothick plaster cornices and stone fireplaces. Panelled doors. C17 chamfered beams and collar-truss roof in rear wing. Subsidiary features: L-shaped wall attached to rear left corner, of limestone rubble with ashlar coping, is approximately 27 x 87 metres. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp552-3; National Monuments Record)

Listing NGR: SP4134915843

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 252702

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 552-3

End of official listing